Thursday, December 12, 2013

Medical Update


UPDATE: I do not have gestational diabetes. I'm anemic. The combination of anemia and hypothyroidism is what was causing the gestational diabetes-like symptoms. I'm hoping with the increase in iron that my heart will return to normal.


I'm generally not very open with my medical life, but word gets around and many have asked me about how the babies are doing.

I have been in and out of the doctor and hospital a lot this week. At 23 weeks, I started regularly contracting (disclaimer: I did the same thing with Brennan starting about 28 weeks, and he almost made it to term. It's not a huge rise for concern yet). I had a kidney/bladder infection (and a whole ordeal with a medication to which I am allergic) that sent me into early labor this Tuesday. However, Portneuf has a very competent staff and we were able to get things under control quickly and I was able to go home late Tuesday night.

The babies heart rates have sounded ok. He gets a little worked up, and I have an appointment Wednesday for another ultrasound to check on him. She sounds healthy as ever. Both kids are moving and active.

I do, unfortunately, (probably) have gestational diabetes. Dang. Despite my genetics, I was able to ward it off until my last pregnancy. So that was nice. I was spilling sugar with my infection (260 after fasting for several hours). That prompted them to have me take an early gestational glucose test Wednesday morning. I didn't do so well. In fact, it's a miracle I drove home without hitting anyone. I still need to take the three hour test and then I will have an official diagnosis next week.

The morning sickness is almost gone! Thank heavens. I have been able to mostly go off the Zofran and use my diet to help me control it. Sadly, carbs help the most. Time for a new game-plan.

I had a fFN test Wednesday morning that came back negative. It sounds as though I will continue to have those every week. I won't continue to update everyone on them every week.

I'm still having problems with vision and dizziness. I will be able to stop eating extra carbs tonight, and I think that will solve the problem. :)

I have a few more print orders to receive and deliver and then I am done working. I have a few spring sessions that I may/may not keep depending on how things go this next week. My work load has consisted of 8-10 hour days at the computer this fall/winter. While I am grateful to do most of my work from home so that I can be with my kids, I will be SO glad to see that end.

Thank you to everyone who has come by this week and helped us in some way or another. Thank you especially to those who send a quick text or phone call just to say, "hi." That has sincerely helped with my crazy emotions. I love my friends and family (especially my mom, aunt, and mother-in-law). Thanks for all of the prayers, love, and good vibes. I know that it has truly helped.

I will probably update again soon. I'll be more eager to update if the babies are healthy. I might even share a picture or two.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, Morgan. I have been very worried about you and have been sending positive energy your way! BTW.....a box is on it's way to you of positivity....keep your eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete